Kenneth F. Bromet
Attorney at Law

Straight Talk
And Strong Advocacy

Custody And Child Support Modification Attorney

In today’s mobile society, life changes more rapidly than ever. An existing parenting plan, child support order or spousal maintenance order may not make sense given substantial changes in circumstances or changes that are planned.

Washington laws allow for modifications to existing court orders in these areas to accommodate the changes that occur in people’s lives. However, the court does not approve major modifications to the parenting plans without valid reasons for the change. In the case of requests to modify a parenting plan or child support order, the court will consider what is in the best interest of the child, although this alone will not be the test as to whether a modification should be allowed.

Even though so-called “minor modifications,” such as changing the holidays that you spend with your child, are generally easier to get approved, it is still necessary to get formal court approval rather than settle for a verbal agreement with your child’s other parent.

If you need to file a request to modify an existing order, or if you wish to prevent a request to modify an existing order, it is important to work with a knowledgeable family law attorney who has experience in this area. At the office of Kenneth F. Bromet, Attorney at Law, I can help you obtain or prevent a modification.

You may request to modify a child support order every two years. The court will look for a “substantial change in circumstances” for either parent. Examples include an illness or injury that prevents someone from working for an extended period, extended unemployment or substantial changes in the needs of a child. A change of income can also suffice to change the basic child support transfer payment.

Meet With A Knowledgeable Seattle Modifications Lawyer

If you have received a petition to modify support or a parenting plan, it is important to respond on time or the request may be automatically approved. Contact me to schedule a free consultation. I will review the facts of your case and offer a candid assessment of what you might expect.

Set up a Free
Initial Consultation


Kenneth F. Bromet, Attorney at Law

2508 Fairview Avenue East
Unit B
Seattle, WA 98102

Toll Free : 888-330-8564
Phone : 206-971-9934
Fax : 206-325-9980
Seattle Law Office Map