Seattle Relocation And Modifications Attorney

Americans are more mobile than ever. Technology grants the opportunity for some workers to telecommute, allowing many individuals to live far from their jobs. One fallout of our increasingly mobile society is the challenge it presents to parents who no longer live together and who share parental duties.

If one parent moves with children a significant distance away from the other parent, it can negatively impact the relationship that the nonrelocating parent has with his or her children.

In Washington, the law dictates that a custodial parent has a presumptive right to modify custody orders and relocate with children. However, a noncustodial parent can object and petition to block the relocation. The nonrelocating parent must show that it is in the child's best interest not to move. There are a large number of factors that the court will weigh in determining whether to grant or reject the relocation of the children.

Assertive Representation In Child Relocation Matters

Relocation disputes can be taxing emotionally and financially. At the Seattle law office of Kenneth F. Bromet, Attorney at Law, I represent parents who wish to relocate, as well as parents who want to prevent their child's other parent from moving away. I have represented Seattle-area residents in family law matters for more than 35 years.

A parent who wishes to relocate with a child must provide 60 days' notice to the child's other parent; the other parent has 30 days to respond. If the other parent objects, a court date is set. Washington courts give relocation trials priority in order to minimize the uncertainty and disruption to the child's life.

If the parents are unable to resolve the matter, the court considers 11 factors, including:

  • The quality of the relationship that each parent has with the child as measured by stability and regular involvement
  • Any previous agreements by both parties that are part of existing court orders
  • Whether disrupting the contact between the child and the custodial parent would be more detrimental to the child than disrupting contact between the child and the nonrelocating parent
  • The reasons of each party for seeking to relocate or to prevent the relocation
  • The quality of life, resources and opportunities available to the child and to the relocating party in the existing situation and at the new location
  • The possibility for alternative arrangements to maintain the child's relationship with the nonrelocating parent

Contact Kenneth F. Bromet, Attorney at Law

Whether you are seeking the right to move out of state with a child or want to file a petition to block a proposed move, it is important to enlist the services of an experienced Seattle parental relocation lawyer as soon as possible. Because of the time sensitivity and the deadlines for responding, a delay could greatly impact the outcome of your case.

Call or email me to schedule a free consultation. I will review the facts of your case and provide a candid analysis of what you might expect.